Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Visual Bookshelf

For the past three and a half years I've been keeping a electronic booklist of all the books that I read. I wanted some way to be able to leave my comments/reviews/thoughts on all the books that I read. Well, thankfully to Visual Bookshelf on facebook, that's what I've been able to do.

While using it I was also using GetGlue. I would check in while reading books because I like getting recommendations for other books, that I might not have ever seen or heard of before. I usually check into GetGlue for a few weeks then go update Visual Bookshelf.

I have a horrible memory, I'm an avid reader & oh did I mention my horrible memory?!

That being said is the reason I had over 500 + books saved on there :\ so much for that anymore. I logged onto Visual Bookshelf on August 13, 2011 to update my list of books just to find a message. I copied & pasted below.

This is what shows on the actual page when you go to your bookshelf:
"It's not you. It's us.
First of all, thank you for your enthusiastic support over the past four years. Your continued engagement with our these applications means a lot to us here at LivingSocial, and we're sad that we haven't been able to dedicate the time and effort you deserve to keep this community alive and thriving.

It's not you. It's us. You see — about two years ago — we tried a new idea, which has taken our team and company in a new direction. This community needs tools and products that are fully supported and continually improved, and unfortunately, this is something we just can't support right now.

We know your data is important to you. Before we discontinue the service, we gave you 30 days to save it.

We have helped many of you do just that and migrate to other applications around the internet, such as GoodReads, LibraryThing, etc.

On August 12th, 2011, we shut down this suite of applications.

If you have any concerns/questions or just want to say hi (or grr!), you can reach us at interests@livingsocial.com"

Sooooo...yeah, I was a freakin' day late. Lost all that electronic data. I KNOW there's no way in hell I can remember all the books that I've read. Being just a wee bit peeved was a complete understatement that day to find that message. Thanks for the 30 days of a heads up, but being a iPhone user I maybe log onto my facebook on my laptop once a month (if that) since I find it easier to on my iPhone. So I never got the damn warning! Grrr!

I ended up at GoodReads because they have a iPhone App (thank you) & I can check in, update book lists, give my opinion & keep up with my favorite authors. I ended up spending over two hours just adding what few books I can remember. Still about 400 short :( damn it to hell!

Location:Vail St,Dallas,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment